- The Strategic Hamlet Program was started by United States funding in South Vietnam, with the forcible move of residents of small villages to new locations that could be protected from Viet Cong infiltration. Within the first year, nearly eight million people were settled in more than 6,000 such hamlets.
- After concluding that the sealing of East Germany's borders had been successful, the Politburo for the DDR's Germany's Communist Party, the SED, approved a new policy instructing police to make fewer arrests and for the courts to apply lesser penalties for violations of the law. In June, 6,000 prisoners would be released from prison.
On this day in 2012... my dear friend Audrey and I braved the Royal Easter Show in the rain
- We started with the Poultry Pavilion, to keep out of the rain, and were amazed at all the different varieties of chooks
- We met a lovely stallholder in the "World Bazaar" who seemed to enjoy showing us his gemstones as much as we were enjoying looking at them. He gave me a great price on a piece of rainbow haematite which will look fantastic in my coffee-table. I also bought a pretty piece of rhodonite and a lovely piece of idon'tknow (it is a pretty green and brown stone that I didn't recognise, so when I asked the stallholder what it was called he said "I don't know").
- We spent most of our time in the three linked pavilions - the "Food", "Home" and "Craft" halls - as usual the decorated cakes were wonderful, as were the District Displays.

No comments:
Post a Comment